Home Cybersecurity Checklist
April 11, 2017
Don't Take the Bait Resources from BEDELsecurity
Home Cybersecurity Checklist:
The checklist below doesn’t guarantee your security, but it’s a good starting point. Your goal should be to work toward being able to check off every item as a “YES”.
- Are you running anti-virus on your computer(s)?
- Is it a paid service?
- Do updates automatically run?
- Is “real-time scanning” on?
- Do you have daily scans on?
- Do you have weekly “full” scans on?
Recommended paid anti-virus applications:
- Do you have automatic updates turned on?
- Do you have strong password habits?
- Do your passwords have ALL 6 Characteristics:
- Upper case letters
- Lower case letters
- Special characters
- No Dictionary Words
- 8 characters or longer (but the longer, the better)
An example of a strong password: vqL2+@adEdfM7JA
- Do you use a different password for each website/service you use?
- Do you have an offsite backup solution for your most critical files?
- Does it run automatically every day (or multiple times daily)?
- Do you do your normal daily activities on your PC as a non-administrator?
Credit Freeze Resources:
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- Equifax: 1-800-349-9960
- TransUnion: 1-888-909-8872
Placing a Credit Freeze on a Minor:
To Place a Fraud Alert:
Free Awareness Resources: